The Chalfonts was the third edition of Local Directory to be launched in 2009.
The Chalfonts are four main villages in south-east Buckinghamshire, on the edge of the Chilterns. Chalfont St Peter together with Chalfont St Giles, Little Chalfont and The Households make up ‘The Chalfonts’. At the time of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in 949 there was no distinction made between the separate villages: the whole area was known as Ceadeles funtan, meaning “chalk springs”. The villages were however separated by 1237 when in manorial rolls Chalfont St Peter was referred to as Chalfund Sancti Petri. The suffix “St Peter” is taken from the dedication of the church in the village.
Chalfont St Peter is the largest of the group – indeed it is one of the largest villages in the UK. The first major development of the village were rows of Georgian shops (some of which still remain). Much larger developments came in the late 1920s and these shops that run up the main street towards Gold Hill Common now comprise most of the village centre. Modernisation and urbanisation continued up until the 1960s when most of the Georgian shops were demolished in favour of a concrete development of flats, offices and shop fronts surrounding a central car park.
Chalfont St Giles was first listed in the Domesday Book in 1086. The Norman parish church of Saint Giles dates from the 12th century. The church features a lychgate and wall paintings from the early 14th century. During the English Civil War, some iron cannonballs were embedded in the stonework around the east window; they were believed to have been fired by Oliver Cromwell’s troops when camped in the neighbouring field after the Battle of Aylesbury. Three of these balls are now on display in John Milton’s Cottage in the village. Bishop Francis Hare is buried in his family mausoleum in the churchyard. The Chiltern Open Air Museum, located immediately outside the Parish boundary, rescues and re-erects historic buildings which face demolition, from medieval to modern. Its collection includes a cottage from around 1600, and a variety of 19th century buildings, all sited within 45 acres of parkland.
The Chalfonts Local Directory is distributed in the HP7, HP8 and SL9 areas, which includes:
Chalfont St. Peter
Chalfont St. Giles
The Chalfonts Local Directory is delivered to over 8,000 homes every month; by advertising in all 13 Local Directory publications your business could reach over 110,000 homes locally!
The Chalfonts Local Directory is a gem of information, packed full of products & services mainly from local businesses, as well as interesting articles, informative editorials, events, a cookery page, book review, community page, children’s page, puzzles & essential local information.
Our rates are excellent value and we offer some great packages for long-term advertisers. All directories are published monthly in A5 format. A quarter page ad costs as little as £68 per month (based on 12 months booking in 3 magazines) – in full colour!